- Ancestry.com (from Library)
A comprehensive online source of information available for conducting genealogical and local history research. Contains more than 1.5 billion names in over 4,000 databases. Provides downloadable charts and forms. Researchers are advised to search one database at a time for easier use.
- HeritageQuest Online (Badgerlink)
Access to genealogical records. Contains complete U.S. Federal Census (1790-1940), images and name indexes, Freedman's Bank Records, U.S. Serial Set documents, interactive census maps, and more.
Register for a free membership. Collates National Archives' materials relating to American history. Includes papers of the Continental Congress, the Constitutional Convention, Civil War and Vietnam War photographs, and FBI case files.
- Family Search
Sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Indexes over 4 billion names and provides free phone support. Free, downloadable records, some are international.
- NewspaperArchive (Badgerlink)
Contains millions of searchable newspaper pages, dating as far back as the 1700s, presented in a PDF format that preserves the original context and format of content.
- Wisconsin Newspaper Association (Badgerlink)
Covers 239 Wisconsin newspapers from 2005 to 90 days ago. Each newspaper is available cover to cover in a searchable PDF format
- Newspaper Source Plus (Badgerlink)
Contains 63 million articles from more than 1,210 newspapers, 130 newswires, and 50 news magazines. Includes all staff articles for The Janesville Gazette, La Crosse Tribune, The Leader Telegram (Eau Claire), The Telegram (Superior), and The Wisconsin State Journal. Cover to cover coverage for Advance-Titan (Oshkosh), Capital Times, The Daily Reporter (Milwaukee), UWM Post (Milwaukee), Wisconsin Law Journal (Milwaukee), and Wisconsin State Journal.
- Military and Government Colllection (Badgerlink)
Nearly 300 full-text journals and magazines. Full-text publications include Defense Studies, Military Technology, Combat Edge, Foreign Affairs, Naval Forces and many more. Also offers indexing and abstracts for hundreds of journals.
- History Reference Center (Badgerlink)
Full-text books, magazines, historical documents, biographies, and multimedia. Nearly 57,000 historical documents and 40,000 historical photos and maps. More than 1,990 full-text reference books. Full-text articles are searchable by reading level indicator (Lexile).
- Recollection Wisconsin
Stories from Wisconsin Collections
- VILAS COUNTY
- OTHER WEBSITES - free; may require a login and password
- Cyndi's List - categorized and cross-referenced list of links pointing to genealogical research sites online.
- RootsWeb - owned by Ancestry.com. Hosts many volunteer genealogy projects on the internet. Provides a mailing list, message board and free webspace to build your own genealogy webpages.
- Find A Grave - free website of over 121 million grave records. Maintained by volunteers.