COURSES - Take free courses for your professional or personal development. You can take these courses by using your library card to access the library's annual subscription to instructor-led classes.
- Gale Courses
Take a free six-week course online. Choose from hundreds of classes, including Secrets of Better Photography, Start an Edible Garden, Beginning Conversational French, Speed Spanish, Drawing for Beginners, Introduction to Guitar, Intro to Digital Scrapbooking, Intro to Natural Health & Healing, Handling Medical Emergencies, Starting a Pet Sitting Business, and many more. Use your library card to establish an account with Gale Courses©.
COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY - Take free on-demand courses for computer software, including MS Office, Windows, Adobe Photoshop, Mac OS, and more.
- Typing Skills
Test and improve your typing skills with free typing games.
An online typing tutor for all skill levels. Includes beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses as well as 8 typing games and a typing test. Free registration is required if you wish to track your progress (must have an email address).
- GCF Learn Free
Provides a wide variety of tutorials on technology topics. Tutorials include basic computing, email, Facebook, tablets, and Microsoft Office.
Self-paced computer tutorials to guide you through the basics, beginning with “what is a computer” and introducing you to the mouse, keyboard and ports.
- Microsoft Virtual Academy
offers courses in IT, Cloud Computing, and all of the stuff on the Internet that you have no explanation for. You can ever register for live events, like a tutorial on 2D game programming in HTML5!
This smart site is designed to help you interactively learn code, no matter what level you’re at. So start with the basics of HTML if you need to, and work your way up to a whole new level of confidence online.
- Online Computer Education Tutorials
A collection of various guides and tutorials for Microsoft Office programs as well as typing and mouse exercises.
- Excel Easy
Different levels of tutorials for learning Microsoft Excel.
- Microsoft Office Training Center
Free training videos and tutorials on a variety of Microsoft Products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Ttutorials on popular and useful websites on the Internet, from social networks and dating sites to everyday tools for getting directions and knowing what the weather’s going to be like. You can learn how to listen to music, watch videos, and have phone calls right on your computer through the power of the Internet! Plus, special resources dedicated to 50+ adults.
- InPictures computer tutorials – Learn how to use Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word (version 2003 or 2007) as well as openOffice products, web basics like HTML and various web programming (MySQL, PHP or Perl) basics.
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES - Sites with free educational opportunities
- Khan Academy - Video tutorials geared toward self-guided learning. The subject areas include math, science, finance & economics, humanities, test prep and computer science.
- MIT Open Courseware - Free course material, lecture notes, slides and videos of undergraduate and graduate of courses taught at MIT.
- Alison - Over 800 free, self-paced online courses. It includes courses in technology and software, workplace skills, financial literacy, and more…
- Coursera - An education company that partners with the top universities and organizations in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free.
- Homework Help - Get answers: websites, guides and more.
- EdX - EdX is a one-stop shop for all things university i.e. UC Berkeley class on essay writing, a Harvard course on Einstein, etc.
- HubSpot Academy - A leader in producing courses and eBooks on everything “content marketing.” Earn certifications and boost your credentials.