- American Fact Finder
Drawing from U.S. Census data, American Fact Finder will generate reports based on your desired parameters.
- Ellis Island Passenger Search
- Family Search
Sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Indexes over 4 billion names and provides free phone support. Free, downloadable records, some are international.
- Genealogy: The Complete Resource Guide
- HeritageQuest Online (Badgerlink)
Access to genealogical records. Contains complete U.S. Federal Census (1790-1940), images and name indexes, Freedman's Bank Records, U.S. Serial Set documents, interactive census maps, and more.
- History Reference Center (Badgerlink)
Full-text books, magazines, historical documents, biographies, and multimedia. Nearly 57,000 historical documents and 40,000 historical photos and maps. More than 1,990 full-text reference books. Full-text articles are searchable by reading level indicator (Lexile).
- Military and Government Colllection (Badgerlink)
Nearly 300 full-text journals and magazines. Full-text publications include Defense Studies, Military Technology, Combat Edge, Foreign Affairs, Naval Forces and many more. Also offers indexing and abstracts for hundreds of journals.
- Newspaper Source Plus (Badgerlink)
Contains 63 million articles from more than 1,210 newspapers, 130 newswires, and 50 news magazines. Includes all staff articles for The Janesville Gazette, La Crosse Tribune, The Leader Telegram (Eau Claire), The Telegram (Superior), and The Wisconsin State Journal. Cover to cover coverage for Advance-Titan (Oshkosh), Capital Times, The Daily Reporter (Milwaukee), UWM Post (Milwaukee), Wisconsin Law Journal (Milwaukee), and Wisconsin State Journal.
- Recollection Wisconsin
Stories from Wisconsin Collections
- Wisconsin Newspaper Association (Badgerlink)
Covers 239 Wisconsin newspapers from 2005 to 90 days ago. Each newspaper is available cover to cover in a searchable PDF format
- Vilas County Cemetaries with transcriptions
- Find A Grave - Vilas County cemetaries - free website of over 121 million grave records. Maintained by volunteers.
- Vilas County Census Information
- Vilas County Vital Records
- Obituary Index - Obituary archives for the Vilas County News Review are available in the WEOM Library.
OTHER WEBSITES - free; may require a login and password
- Cyndi's List - categorized and cross-referenced list of links pointing to genealogical research sites online.
- RootsWeb - owned by Ancestry.com. Hosts many volunteer genealogy projects on the internet. Provides a mailing list, message board and free webspace to build your own genealogy webpages.
- Wisconsin Historical Society - collects, preserves and makes available materials about the history of Wisconsin, the United States and North America.
- Library of Congress Chronicling America - Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.
- Preservation Directory.com - online resource for historic preservation, building restoration and cultural resource management in the United States & Canada.
- Family History Centers - affiliate branches of the Family History Library operated by the LDS Church. Regionally located at Olson Memorial Library, as well as Three Lakes and Minocqua.
- UW Milwaukee Archives - an Area Research Center for the Wisconsin Historical Society, providing access to primary sources from all around the state.
- UW Stevens Point Research Center - repository of University records, Portage County Historical Society collections and Wisconsin Historical Society - Area Research Center Network collections
- UW Madison Archives - official repository for all UW-Madison, UW-System Administration, UW-Extension, and UW Colleges records appraised to have permanent or archival value.
- Northern Great Lakes History Center and Archives - includes naturalization records; pre-1907 registrations of births, deaths, and marriages; census records for each of the eight counties as well as Native American census rolls for Northern Wisconsin tribes; area newspapers on microfilm; court and tax records; and Ashland city directories.