Need that special item that's not available here at Olson Memorial Library? Just search one of the other libraries within the Northern Waters Library System (NWLS) or ask us to find it for you. You also have at your disposal a vast array of resources and library systems that can help you get that elusive book, thesis, genealogy, or archived newspaper article. Use the links below or just call and ask; chances are good we will be able to locate what you need.
Merlin is the catalog shared by NWLS member libraries. Your Merlin card number can be used to access your account and place holds, request items from other libraries, renew your items, or check the status your library record. You can also make Merlin loan requests by email or by calling the library (715) 479-8070. Once your requested item is in, we will notify you. You can pick up and return the item at the library.
Interlibrary Loan, or ILL, is a service library customers may use to gain access to materials which cannot be found in the Merlin catalog. WISCAT is the state-wide shared library catalog that allows us to borrow items through interlibrary loan. If you are not finding what you want in our local Merlin Library catalog, you can search state-wide to see if another library in Wisconsin owns it.
HOW TO PLACE YOUR OWN REQUEST IN WISCAT (not Merlin):
Click on this special Patron Initiated request link to find and request items in the state-wide catalog (WISCAT) that are not available in the regular library catalog (Merlin).
- Always check the Merlin catalog first, just in case.
- Once you find the item you want, use the Request button to place your request.
- If you wish to, you can create your own WISCAT account to keep track of the status of your WISCAT request. You can also make inter-library loan requests by email or calling the library (715) 479-8070.
- Once your requested item is in, we will notify you. You can pick up and return the item here, at the library.
By using WISCAT interlibrary loan, you agree to:
- Only request items published/released prior to last year (per amazon.com).
- Avoid requesting items published more than 75 years ago.
- Allow two to eight weeks for fulfillment. Contact us to check request status.
- Pick up items promptly upon notification of their availability.
- Return items by the due date printed on the ILL label.
- Contact us to request renewals two to three days before the due date.