The WEOM Library Foundation
The WEOM Library Foundation, a nonprofit corporation dedicated to raising money for the Olson Library, was formed in 1992 in order to support the library’s mission to provide for the immediate library needs and to expand the library in the future. The founding Foundation members believed that a library inspires and changes and enhances the equality of life for everyone and reflects what a community values. From 1992 to the present, though the members of the Foundation have changed, the initial Foundation members’ philosophy is still the same. The goal of the Foundation is to augment the library as a learning and information resource for the citizens of Eagle River and the surrounding communities and townships that support the library. This is done beyond the financial support provided by annual tax revenues.
New Library Building Campaign & "Fund the Furnishings"
In 2006, the Foundation was informed by Library Director Diana Anderson that the library was bursting at its seams and needed more space. With the Trustees’ blessing, the Foundation began a capital campaign. Thanks to the generosity of many, and no taxpayer dollars, on December 15, 2017, the Foundation held the Grand Opening for the addition and newly renovated Library.
All construction costs for the building have been paid, but the Foundation needs to continue fund-raising in order to meet some financial obligations for the furnishings and shelving.
The Foundation continues to seek gifts and donations, money, books and collections, endowments, properties and conducts events to raise funds and celebrate the work of the OML's staff, volunteers, and supporters. Some of our endeavors include the following:
- The Foundation’s major fund-raiser has always been the annual Golf Outing held at the ER Golf Course. Since 1992 the Foundation has quietly raised over a quarter of a million dollars from the Golf Outing alone. The 2020 Golf Outing will be June 7 and is the 27th Annual Golf Outing.
- Since 2017 the Eagle River VFW Post 8637 has sponsored a Pancake Breakfast that is held mid-November, on or around Veterans Day. This has become an annual Foundation fund-raiser with VFW members and Foundation members working closely together. All proceeds go to the Foundation
- The Walter E. Olson Library Friends (WOLF) is an arm of the Foundation and helps financially when needed. WOLF organizes periodic booksales throughout to year and collects annual membership fees to raise funds for the Library. Contact Jan Christofferson or send in your completed membership form to join the Friends!
- The Foundation has been involved in the “Buy A Brick” campaign to raise additional funds to help pay for the furnishings and shelving at the Library. The bricks line the west entrance to the Library. This campaign has reached its successful conclusion.
- For many years the Foundation sponsored a fall Recognition Dinner for the staff and volunteers. Since 2015 it has been a morning event held at the library. The Volunteer of the Year is honored along with recognition of the staff and volunteers.
Make a Donation
If you are interested in providing financial support for the Library through a donation to the Foundation, please use this Donation Form
2020 Foundation Board of Directors
- Jan Christofferson – WOLF Coordinator
- John Hletko
- Philip Jensen
- Darleen Kadulski – Secretary
- Sara Klemann – Library Director
- Tina Koller – Vice-President
- Lee Liermann – Treasurer
- Debra Obrodovich
- Nancy Schaffer – President
- Nancy Schuller
- Laurie Stoegbauer – Trustee Representative